Soft, chewy chocolate chip cookies are made twice as sweet by using two different types of chocolate: semisweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips.
My friend Kelley talks a lot about “the five love languages” and how different people express heartfelt commitment in different ways. For example, some people demonstrate love through praise and affection, others through giving gifts. There’s a lot more to it than that, and having not read the book or studies, I can’t tell you definitively what that means, but I do know without question that one of my love languages is food. Cooking and baking for people is one of the ways I like to express affection and show people I care about them.
In February, love is always in the air, and these chocolate chip cookies are sure to get you some love and appreciation in return, whether you’re giving them to a significant other or to your coworkers. This year, whether you’re feeling a little more romance in the air than usual or if you need a boost to get into the spirit, you can never go wrong with a Nicholas Sparks movie. On February 5, the new Nicholas Sparks movie, The Choice, hits theaters.
As with most of Nicholas Sparks stories, this one looks like a tearjerker, about making difficult choices of the heart to find your destiny and perfect match. The main characters are first brought together through an encounter between their dogs (which…if you know how obsessed I am with my dog Henry, you’ll know why I like this idea!). Their adorable pets play an important (and adorable) role in the story.
Even though the new Nicholas Sparks movie, The Choice, is a love story, I think this is one to round up the girlfriends to watch, followed by a debriefing session over cookies and coffee (or if your girlfriends are anything like my girlfriends, a bottle of red wine).
I’ve read the book (of course I have) and thought I won’t ruin the ending for you, I will just tell you that the choice referenced in the movie’s title is indeed a tough one and you might indeed need some chocolate.
Why not chocolate chip cookies?
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk flour and baking soda together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with an electric hand mixer, combine the butter, granulated sugar an brown sugar, beat until mixture is combined; should look light and fluffy. Add salt, vanilla, and eggs, then beat for about 45-60 seconds or until ingredients are all combined. Add flour mixture in parts, stirring until just blended. By hand, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets, either lined with silipat baking mat or parchment paper. Bake until cookies begin to turn golden brown, about 8-12 minutes depending on your oven strength. Remove from oven and let cool before serving.