This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SendSweetness #CollectiveBias
Dark chocolate brownies dotted with fresh strawberries as well as M&M’s® Strawberry candies make for the perfect Valentine’s Day sweet treat.
People assume that when you aren’t in a committed relationship, you must hate Valentine’s Day. Now, I hate the entire month of February, but that’s a story for another day. I’ve never been in a long-term committed relationship over Valentine’s Day, but that’s hardly the fault of February 14th.
I like the idea of a day to celebrate love.
Mostly though, I like the idea of a day to celebrate chocolate.
My grandmother’s recipe for Cake Nor Candy brownies has always been one of my favorites to make from scratch. It’s easy, requires one bowl, no electric mixer and absolutely no one who has ever tried these brownies has done anything except rave about them.
M&M’s® have always been one of my favorite candies, so when I saw M&M’s® Strawberry in the Valentine’s Day candy aisle, I knew that they would be the perfect way to give a favorite recipe an extra special twist for a day dedicated to heart shaped candy and red roses (bonus: save $1.00 on ANY TWO (2) M&M’s® Brand Chocolate Candies, 8oz or larger). The seasonal aisle in grocery stores or Walmart is a super fun place to pick up gifts, candy and other festive sundries.
Seasonal/holiday themed candy is perfect for baking. When I bake, I almost always give treats away to friends, coworkers, my doormen.
Special occasions, like Valentine’s Day, give me an excuse to bake and pull together care packages for friends. Of course, when I give a gift, I include a card. American Greetings® has some fun greeting cards for literally every person in your life: friend, family or significant other. Some of them are romantic and sentimental, others are cheerful and humorous. My favorite is “Happy Chocolate Day” which now that I think about it, would be a nice way to rebrand Valentine’s Day.
If you’re looking for a simple but indulgent Valentine’s Day gift, DOVE® Valentine’s Day tin of Milk Chocolate Truffles. Add it to a gift set, with your chocolate strawberry brownies and a special greeting card.
You can even gift it to yourself. Nobody is going to judge you.
- ½ pound (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup hulled and quartered strawberries
- 1 cup M&M's® Strawberry candies
- Preheat oven to 325F. Melt butter in a double boiler or a small saucepan over low heat. Pour butter into a mixing bowl and then using same pan, melt chocolate on low heat.
- Add sugar to the melted butter and mix well. Add eggs one at a time, beating by hand between each addition. Add vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture. Stir in strawberries and M&M's® Strawberry candies. Pour batter into a greased 13 x 9 pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting into squares.