Sangria, arguably one of the most popular summer beverages, is inexpensive to make and just a step or two more festive than opening a bottle of wine when you’re entertaining friends.
Though ubiquitous and undeniably cheerful during the warmer months, not everyone enjoys sweet sangria. By adding fruit and wine and liqueur and anything else that make sangria delicious, it’s also easy to create a sugar bomb that will leave you feeling sluggish before you’ve even drained your glass.
This recipe is a take on classic sangria that combines a day at the spa with a day on the beach. It uses fresh herbs and the savory flavor of cucumber along with white wine and sparkling water (but if you want to go big, go ahead and throw some sparkling wine in there too).
Use your favorite, crisp white wine in this sangria. We like a dry sauvignon blanc or a simple vinho verde, but the important thing is to make sure the wine is completely chilled. It’s naturally low carb, which will be a hit for your health conscious friends and tastes great, so it will definitely be a crowd-pleaser.
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 3 limes, sliced
- 1 large green cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 750ml bottle dry white wine
- 2 cups sparkling water (or sparkling wine)
- 2 cups ice
- In a large pitcher, combine the first five ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to muddle the fruit with the herbs, which releases their juices and natural oils.
- Top the mixture with the wine and sparkling water. Chill for 20-30 minutes to let flavors blend. Add ice immediately before serving.