With its earthy flavor and nutritious profile, kale has become one of the most popular greens to prepare. Nearly every restaurant and cafe offers a kale salad, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t exceptionally simple to make at home.
We’ve previously talked about our love for kale, but when kale goes tropical with ripe mango, unsweetened coconut, pumpkin seeds and fresh lime-honey vinaigrette, it simply isn’t possible to love it any more. There’s something especially appealing about the combination of slightly bitter kale and sweet fresh fruit whether you’re making a salad as a meal or a side dish.
We used mango in this, but it would equally good with fresh berries, sliced grapes or even avocado if you want to make your salad a little more savory.
This salad is a perfect accompaniment to grilled salmon in the summer or as a hearty lunchtime salad with added grilled chicken when you want something filling to bring to the office.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups chopped stemmed curly kale
- ¼ cup toasted unsweetened flaked coconut
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- Combine olive oil, lime juice, honey (or agave), crushed red pepper, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add kale, coconut, pumpkin seeds, and mango; toss.