Nothing screams summer quite like watermelon, so it’s only natural to find a way to be able to drink it with vodka in a watermelon-cucumber cooler.
It’s not easy to find a cocktail that is smooth and refreshing without tasting overly sweet. As much as cocktails with names like “sex on the beach” or “tequila sunrise” sound alluring, I can’t say I have ever felt compelled to order and subsequently, drink a glass of sugar.
The best way, in my ever so humble opinion, to enjoy a summer cocktail, is to select the flavors that you like the most and experiment with fresh ingredients, herbs and juices.
Watermelon and cucumber are two of my favorite refreshing flavors, it only made sense to combine them into what can best be described as summer in a glass. It’s the perfect cocktail to double or triple the recipe and make by the pitcher for friends and if you have guests who want to skip the booze, you’d never even miss it.
- 5 cups cubed seedless watermelon (about 1½ pounds)
- 1 large English cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- ⅔ cup vodka
- Cucumber slices, for garnish
- Set a large fine-mesh sieve or strainer over a large bowl or pitcher. In a blender, puree watermelon into a liquid. If any pulp or chunks of watermelon remain, pour through a sieve or strainer to separate liquids from solids. Puree English cucumber and pour through sieve into watermelon juice.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together lime juice and honey. Add to watermelon and cucumber juices, along with vodka. Adjust sweetness with more honey if desired. To serve, fill four glasses with ice and top each with cocktail. Garnish with cucumber slices.
NOTE: If you have a high-power blender, you can skip the sieve/strainer step for both watermelon and cucumber. Just follow the instructions on your blender for fresh juice.