There are a lot of milestones that we hit during our twenties that prove to our parents and grandparents that we’ve actually become real, live adults. For some, it’s the acquisition of a first job and or the purchase of a first home. For others, it’s the ability to contribute something edible to Thanksgiving without creating a fire or giving someone’s second cousin food poisoning. If you’re in the latter category and you want to contribute to your family dinner, gluten-free quinoa with pomegranate & pistachio is not only a safe bet, but an instant crowd-pleaser.
This recipe comes to us from the October/November issue of AARP The Magazine, which, while not a daily read over here (at least not for another 20 years or so…), has some pretty excellent ideas for family gatherings. In this specific issue, Stanley Tucci shares his wife’s gluten-free quinoa with pomegranate & pistachio recipe that makes a perfect side dish to complement the traditional offerings at this year’s Thanksgiving meal.
Healthy and full of flavor, the recipe is ideal for parents and kids alike who are following gluten-free diets or simply want to eat a little lighter at this year’s Turkey Day feast. It can easily be customized to add favorite cheeses (feta, goat, etc.) and/or spices.
- 2 cups quinoa
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, plus 2 tablespoons for serving
- 3 tablespoons salted pistachios
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced into rounds (optional)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for the orange
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water to remove its bitterness.
- Bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Dress with the olive oil and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, and set aside to cool.
- Gently mix the pomegranate seeds, pistachios and scallions into the quinoa. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with sliced oranges dressed with olive oil, if desired.