Did your work schedule keep you from taking the fancy summer vacation you looked forward to all winter? If margaritas by the pool was but a distant dream this year, margaritas at home while you’re thinking about being by the pool are the second best thing. Pomegranate margaritas make the sour deal a little sweeter.
Anytime you feel the need to channel a tropical beach or a picturesque patio, Harbor View Hotel, located on the picturesque island of Martha’s Vineyard, has shaken up a few fun cocktails to keep the season going until the bottle runs out.
Guests and patrons of the hotel’s restaurants, Water Street and Henry’s Hotel Bar enjoy libations like the Painted House Margarita, which could also be aptly named “vacation in a glass.” Luckily, the recipe is simple to recreate at home, even if you’re drinking one while you’re checking work email at 9:00 p.m. … for the third time.
The beauty of this recipe is that it uses homemade sour mix, which is practically unrecognizable from the lime green sour mixes you’ll find in the store. This recipe relies entirely on fresh citrus fruit juices with no added sugar or sweetener. If you need to balance out the citric acid, we like to balance with a little bit of honey or agave syrup.
No matter how you adapt the recipe, it is infinitely more delicious than the kind you’d buy from the store in a bottle.
- 2 cups homemade or store bough simple syrup
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup lime juice
- ½ cup grapefruit juice
- 2 ounces silver tequila
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 2 ounces pomegranate juice
- 1½-2 oz. of Pomegranate Juice
- Splash homemade sour mix
- Salt (for rim)
- Lime wheel (for garnish)
- [br[Sour Mix:
- Combine ingredients in a pitcher or mason jar and stir until combined. Store unused mix in the refrigerator.
- Combine tequila, triple sec, sour mix and pomegranate juice over ice in a pint glass. Shake back and forth into a metal shaker
- Rim the pint glass with salt and pour contents from shaker into glass. Garnish with a lime wheel. Serves 1.