I know people have been all about the zucchini pasta, or zoodles, for a really really long time but I only caught on this past summer. As much as I love pasta of all shapes and sizes, I am also mindful of the fact that I travel frequently and it would be sort of expensive to have to buy a second seat every time I fly. To balance my love of bread, pasta, cheese and chocolate, I occasionally take breaks and eat low carb, which means a lot of lean protein, vegetables and subbing zoodles into recipes that would ordinarily call for pasta.
You can make spiralized noodles with just about any vegetable — cucumber, sweet potato, summer squash, carrots and even pumpkin. They’ve long since been a trick of restaurant chefs and they’re a great way to add more veggies into your meal routines.
These zoodles are dressed with a rich and savory avocado-walnut pesto, a combination born from my favorite avocado pasta recipe along with the fact that I had about a quarter bag of chopped walnuts that I wanted to use. I dropped half of my avocado into the sink when I was pitting it, so my sauce doesn’t look as creamy as yours will, and it definitely needs the whole avocado to reach the desired tastiness.
Do as I say, not as I do, right?
- 2 medium zucchini
- ½ cup chopped basil leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and skin removed
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- chopped walnuts for topping (optional)
- feta cheese for topping (optional)
- Make the zoodles: Use a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles according to device instructions; I used the wide setting on my Paderno.
- Make the pesto: Place basil leaves, avocado, walnuts, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper to a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add the oil and continue to process until mixture resembles a thick paste. Add additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a large bowl, mix zucchini noodles with pesto until all noodles are coated. Top with additional chopped walnuts and if desired, feta cheese.