This post is one that’s long overdue. It’s long overdue because there are few things easier and more delicious than this pasta.
I am obsessed with it.
Of course, my obsession with avocados is nothing new but the idea of blending avocados into pasta was new to me when my friend Angie made it for dinner one Friday night.
The fact that avocados are healthy for you is a delightful bonus. They’re rich, creamy and indulgent – all words that are usually associated with the phrase “need to go to the gym.” Avocados though, are full of vitamins and “good fat” so you can hardly feel guilty blending them into also-healthy whole wheat pasta.
The Parmesan cheese? Gratuitous, I know. But when have I ever deprived you of cheese?
The original recipe is from Oh, She Glows and it couldn’t have been easier to replicate. Though it does require a food processor of some sort (a blender would work too), this is one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever made.
If you want to skip the instructions completely, you could, because all you’d need to do is take each ingredient and toss them into the bowl of your food-processing device, whatever that may be and hit “blend.”
There you have it.
- 1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
- ½ lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, to taste (Use one for a milder flavor, three if you love garlic)
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 servings of your choice of pasta (I used whole wheat)
- Parmesan cheese (garnish, optional)
- Cook spaghetti according to the directions on the package. Meanwhile, place the garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. and blend until smooth. Next, add the avocado, basil, and salt and process until the mixture has a smooth and creamy consistency. Some of the basil pieces might not be completely blended - that's fine. Toss pasta with sauce and garnish with extra basil and Parmesan cheese.