I’m almost certain that the first meal I ever learned to cook on my own, start to finish, was chicken Parmesan.
Or chicken parmigiana if we’re doing that.
It’s simple, classic comfort food and the first thing I’ll order at a red and white checkered tablecloth Italian restaurant (seriously, try it at Club Lago. It’s the bee’s’ knees).
When Jewel-Osco challenged me to use several of their Signature products to develop a recipe that’s “me” on a plate, I was tempted to take the cheeky route and develop a recipe that included coffee, bread, bagels, pizza, French fries, every kind of cheese and wine and oh! chocolate. Definitely some chocolate.
Then I realized that nobody, even I, would want to eat that, and I decided to call back to the first recipe I ever perfected: chicken Parmesan.
Now you all know me well enough to know that I like to take everything to the next level, whether it’s adding a special (read: more than $12) bottle of wine to pair with a simple dinner for Brad and I on a Tuesday night or a decorative piñata and fresh fruit purees for margaritas at a Saturday night taco party (I bet you think I’m kidding about the piñata, but I only wish I were).
So instead of making simple chicken Parmesan I decided to add a little something extra to the recipe and yes, as you’ve deduced by now, that something is Jewel-Osco Signature Farms® Thick Cut Hickory Smoked Bacon.
When I made this for dinner, I’m not sure if Brad was more excited when I told him we were having bacon-wrapped chicken Parmesan or when he saw the plate of leftover bacon on the counter that I’d cooked for us to have in the fridge.
Even though this will look like a fancy dinner, it’s quite simple to make.
Spread a thin layer of Signature SELECT™ Four Cheese Pasta Sauce in a baking dish and add a few dollops of pesto (I love pesto sauce and try to sneak a little in all of my pasta dishes).
I topped each chicken breast with a blend of mozzarella and Parmesan and wrapped with a slice of bacon. Set the chicken on top of the sauce, add some freshly chopped basil and you’re good to go.
I served the chicken with a side of Signature Kitchens® Spaghetti and the remaining Four Cheese sauce.
Pair with your favorite Signature SELECT Italian Sparkling Mineral Water or if it’s a special occasion, your favorite adult beverage.
You can find Signature products, exclusive to and carried by all 18 banners of the Albertsons Companies family of stores. I shop at my local Jewel-Osco stores and know that a Signature product label means super high quality and great value.
- 1.5 pound (about 4 6-ounce breasts) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup homemade or store bought pesto sauce
- 2 cups Signature SELECT Four Cheese Pasta Sauce, divided
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4-6 slices Signature Farms Thick Cut Hickory Smoked Bacon
- 1 box Signature Kitchens Spaghetti, cooked al dente, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- In a large baking dish, place about ½ cup Four Cheese Pasta Sauce, and add pesto sauce by the tablespoon.
- Top each piece of chicken with ¼ cup mozzarella cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Wrap each piece of chicken with a slice of bacon and place in the baking dish over the pesto sauce.
- Dust with additional Parmesan, salt and pepper as desired. Bake at 425 degrees F about 25 minutes, until juices run clear and internal temperature registers 165 degrees F. Serve immediately with Signature Kitchens Spaghetti, remaining Four Cheese Pasta Sauce and if desired additional fresh basil for garnish.