Breakfast for dinner is a fun and fast way to get a healthy dinner on the table during the week. A lot of breakfast staples lend themselves nicely to pairings with vegetables, like omelets, quiche, frittata and Hungry Jack® Hashbrown Potatoes.
Somehow, vegetables are far more appealing to me after 9:00 a.m., and judging by the fact that most coffee shops stock pastries and cakes instead of green salads, I’m guessing I’m not alone.
If you want to enjoy your savory breakfast favorites in the evening, breakfast for dinner is the perfect solution.
A balanced dinner that includes some protein, vegetables and carbs is the perfect way to refuel after a long day. To make this spicy spin on a Sunday brunch staple, you need half an onion, a pepper (I used a combination of red and green) and if you like, some avocado and a bunch of cilantro for garnish. Grab an egg from the fridge, pop open a carton of Hungry Jack and you’ll have a complete meal before you can say “mimosa.”
- 1 box of Hungry Jack Original Hashbrown Potatoes, Black Pepper & Onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small or ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 red or green pepper, diced
- 4 eggs, cooked "over easy"
- Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce
- Sliced avocado, for garnish
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Prepare your hashbrowns: according to package directions, fill the Hungry Jack Original Hashbrown Potatoes carton with water up to the designated line. Let stand for 12 minutes. Drain out the excess water.
- Meanwhile, heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add vegetables and cook until they begin to soften and onions turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Add the potatoes in a thin layer and turn the heat down to medium. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook potatoes until they are very crispy and brown on the bottom, then flip and cook on the other side. Depending on your stove, it should be about 4-5 minutes per side, but keep an eye on them to be sure they don't burn.
- Place hashbrown/veggie mixture on a plate and drizzle with desired amount of hot sauce. Top with an over easy egg, and garnish with cilantro and avocado. Serve immediately.
Shake up the recipe even more by using Hungry Jack’s new Black Pepper & Onion flavored hashbrown potatoes for an extra flavor punch. Up the ante and enter the Hungry Jack Hashbrowns for Dinner Sweepstakes (NOW CLOSED) between May 9 – June 19 for a chance to win a grand prize trip to a NASCAR race.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.